Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Patriotism, a learned behavior.

This past weekend, Preston and I had the opportunity to attend a workshop for couples having recently gone through a deployment. We didn't know what to expect beforehand. Assuming it would only be the guys he spent his recent deployment with to Afghanistan, we were quite surprised to see Marines from all over the country there. While the military has its ups and downs for sure, I'd consider this all-expense paid weekend an "up"--if for no other reason than the fact that we spent it with some friends who are near and dear to our hearts.

I was particularly impressed with the attention to detail throughout the weekend. The group putting on the Returning Warriors Workshop did an excellent job of making it personal. This is what we found upon arriving to our hotel room:
For the job my husband has as a Reconnaissance Marine (which is the special operations unit division of the Marine Corps), deployments can be rather dangerous. Fortunately however, he and the group he was deployed with were lucky as to not experience any extremely traumatizing deaths--and for that we are grateful. Nonetheless, as any family who has gone through a deployment knows, no matter how outwardly traumatic it is, the experience is life-changing, for everyone. 


Just as a throwback reminder, here are a few shots a friend got with my camera from the day the guys arrived home from Afghanistan to the airport:
While we may have not needed this retreat for its "adjustment" aspects as much as some who experienced traumatizing situations of deployment may have, there were some personal things that ran through my mind throughout the weekend. First, is my observance over the past few months into the instinctual nature we have as humans to want to belong to something. There's a feeling of butterflies, of a little pride (the good kind :) in being a part of a distinguished group. I never really realized my true appreciation in our being subcategorized in the military group as something I hold with a sense of pride, until recently.

Upon observing the tight-knit groups from different bases around the country, I realized the unity in each one of them.

Until meeting Preston, I had never paid much attention to the military. I feel ashamed saying this; however, it's the truth for most people. Unless you're a political activist or directly affected by it, it's hard to understand and have strong feelings towards it and the people who sacrifice for our country. In my terms, I would not consider Preston or any of the Marines we are close to to be extremely patriotic people--not, at least, by what I had in my head as patriotic's definition. They're not "OOH-RAH'in" // "fight for my country"// "look at me, I'm in the military" types of people. They're family people, with each other and for each other--and that is what makes them patriotic. They are the best friends a person could ask for and always have an open door ready for those in need. That's what makes them patriotic. They have experienced intense and raw aspects of life, together. That is what makes them patriotic. They're trained to be loyal and unwavering to those they fight with in battle--something that is amazing to watch carried over into their personal lives. That is what stands our service men and women apart in our country and that is what it means to be patriotic.

And you know what an even crazier part is? Each and every one of them would probably be embarrassed to know that I'm writing these things about them. They're humble. They don't ask for them, but they deserve them.
(Sorry for the quality of the picture. It was taken with my point and shoot this weekend.)

Nonetheless, this is some of our 3rd Force family (Marines and their wives) at the workshop and throughout the weekend. 
...and we had a little time to snap some shots of The Franklins, who will be expecting little Sofie or Gabe in March. But, more of those photos for another post. (: Here's some of us goofing off on the beach, in the mean time.

No comments:

Post a Comment