Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Quick n' Easy, HEALTHY Pizza

Ok so recipes we try along the way in our newlywed"ness" is something I'm going to be implementing into the blog. Like most things, you guessed it, I haven't gotten my plan of action perfected. But here goes recipe take numero uno!

So, I had to "problems" (that's what we'll call them) as I was deciding what to cook for dinner last night. One, I like to cook, but especially since our kitchen in our apartment is cut off from everything else, I don't always love spending 1-2 hours cooking in it at a time. Problem number two: I wanted pizza. Why is that a problem you ask? Well, because unfortunately, I was not blessed with genes (or jeans, for that matter) that are very positively responsive to putting unhealthy food in my body. I've pretty much had to learn good eating habits since I was little and thanks to my lovely mother, I've always been accustomed to healthy alternatives.

Thus, ta ta ta daaaaa.....a pizza healthy enough for me to not feel guilty after eating it! And Preston liked it too! 

This is what I started out with:

 Now there are some things I don't see the need to go all Betty Crocker with--pizza crust is one of them. I used a 100% whole wheat crust, straight out o' the package. Then, all of those nifty colors you see to the right are some lowfat pepperoni, fresh yellow squash, fresh zucchini, and a vidalia onion.
I put the crust onto a baking sheet (next time I think I will put it straight on the oven rack...it could have been a little crispier). Then, added about 2/3 of the 14oz jar of good ol' Great Value brand pizza sauce. Newlyweds = love Great Value!

Then, I added just a little lagniappe. We had feta, gargonzola, cream cheese, & chive stuffed mushrooms the night before, so chopped those leftovers up and added them on top of the sauce.
Then, put the pepperoni, squash, zucchini, onions, and cheese.  Just 10 minutes in the oven and VOILA!

Do you have any quick and healthy recipes? Feel more than welcome to send them my way!

1 comment:

  1. Jordan and I make a version of this delicious pizza all the time! All the veggies make me feel good about eating it. :) And I like your yummy extras on top. I also am glad that I finally know how to comment on this darn blog!

    ReplyDelete